HSA Wednesday Mail
April 8, 2020
From the Principal…
I hope everyone is healthy and doing well. I wanted to send an update and a few reminders.
I know juggling online learning for your child and your career can be difficult. I hope I can help you make the online learning portion for you and your child a bit easier.
- All content will be accessed through Google Classroom in the student’s My Harmony Portal. Each of their classes (with the exception of self- contained classrooms) will have one classroom. If a student is in Special Education or MTA classes, their teachers for those have their own classes.
- Any software that is needed (STEMScopes, GoMath, RAZKids, ALEKS, Dreambox, etc.) can be accessed through the My Harmony Portal by going to those particular programs. The students have been doing most of these software programs all year long. They know how to get to them. If they don’t remember, please ask your child’s teacher for assistance.
- If your child is struggling to complete the work in a reasonable amount of time, communicate with their teacher. Teachers are there to assist.
- Please read all communication that comes from me, the teachers, and the district. I know it is a lot of information, but as things are changing rapidly, we need to keep everyone in the loop.
- Grades are not being entered into Skyward at this time. Any grades will be entered into Google Classroom. More guidance will be given on this as things change.
If at any time you have any questions, please reach out to the teacher or an administrator. We are here to help.
Lunch Doodles with Mo Willems
Does your child love all the adventures of Elephant & Piggy? And what about Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus?
Mo Willems invites YOU into his studio every day for his LUNCH DOODLE. Grab some paper and pencils, pens, or crayons and explore ways of writing and making together.
Parents now have the option of picking up meals for their children without them being present in the vehicle. One meal bag will be issued for each child 18 and under. However, eligibility must still be verified by the following options when picking up meals:
1. If children are present in the vehicle:
- No additional documentation is required.
2. If NO children are present in the vehicle: One of the following documentation is required at the time of pick-up by a parent/guardian requesting meals:
FOR CHILDREN ENROLLED IN HARMONY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
- Travel authorization (provided earlier to parents in counties with shelter-in-place order)
- Student ID cards
- School pick-up tag
FOR CHILDREN *NOT* ENROLLED IN HARMONY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
- Official letter/email/electronic school application from school listing children enrolled
- Individual student report cards
- Attendance record from parent portal of the school website, printed or electronic, that includes the children names
- Birth certificate for children not in school
- Student ID cards
What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
Q: Teacher: Answer my question at once. What is 7 plus 2?
A: Student: At once!
Helpful Hints for Virtual Learning
Please understand that homeschooling is not a 7-hour day.
- Elementary school learning: 1-2 hours / day
- Middle school learning: 2-3 hours / day
- High school learning: 3-4 hours / day
- Encourage at least one hour a day of outside recreational time, following all social distancing requirements.
*Source: National Board for Professional Teaching Standards
- Find a routine / schedule that works for your family & student.
If you are still struggling with logging in. CLICK HERE first. Type your students email. If you don’t know their email, it is found in Skyward. From there, log into MyHarmonyPortal.
- When working on a Google Doc, make a copy of it first. Make sure the student’s name is in the title. To make a copy, click on File in the top left hand corner. Then click Make a Copy. Once you do that, it will allow you to rename the doc. Afterwards, the student will have his/her own copy of the doc to work on. Then share it with your teacher.
- Using Google Chrome will help do assignments efficiently.
- If you were logged on to your own personal account you will have to switch between yours and your students email address so that they can access all Google classroom materials.
- Please read everything carefully and follow ALL directions on assignments to insure that you have completed them correctly.
- Make sure your child isn’t doing old assignments (unless their teacher needs them to)! We know some kids are sharing technology and we don’t want to waste anyone’s time. Please check in with the teacher or check out their lesson plan/weekly schedule.
- With that in mind, now’s a great time to teach them about checklists. They can write their assignments for the week (or you can if they are little) and check them off when complete. Wanna take it to the next level, you can ask them to have you SIGN it off when each is done or when they are ALL done.
- Use khanacademy.org, it will be your best friend! It has videos over Math concepts AND it has practice!
- Checking ClassTag and/ or Dojo will help you communicate with your teachers.
- Some teachers have a collective assignment calendars to help the parents know what to do and when the assignments are going live.
- Please stay in constant contact with teachers and go to as many zoom meetings as possible. We are here to help!